SAFE AND SOUND
Here I feel safe, secure, cared for expertly physically and mentally.
‘What safe in Mexico?’ All my British friends scoff. I have left them in a cold climate fending for themselves in the rotting remains of the UK health service and extortionately priced private care system.
A year on after my piteous arrival, like a whimpering stray undernourished bedraggled animal with its tail firmly between its legs, I now look and feel as fit as a butchers dog .
As I just turned down an offer of marriage to leave here, you need to know how Lakeside Care won with:
1. Three wonderful home cooked meals served every day, on time with a smile
2. A spacious suite with floor to ceiling windows, right on the lake side
3. A choice of single or a double therapedic beds.
4. All my laundry done and my room cleaned.
5. The whole day to read, write, watch TV/DVDs exercise in the gardens and practice Spanish with the staff or just have a siesta.
6. All the clothes and make up I could possibly need at 25% UK prices
7. Free computer and internet
8. A beautifully manicured grass soccer pitch for exercise in unpolluted air with a static bike and trampoline.
9. Top secured buildings with cameras and a big bull dog
10. Constant sunshine
Its around 80 degrees (in old money). I am in flip flops enjoying a super-fast internet connection with my laptop, on a sun lounger, with two sleepy puppies underneath. Now it’s off to the dining room to help two young Mexican staff members enhance their English pronunciation.
Here I live in and with a Mexican American family plus a sprinkling of American and Canadian fellow guests.
Now to explode some myths :
1. Mexican healthcare is in the era of feathers, fire works and fear. ?
Every little health problem here is dealt with entirely by charming, highly skilled, English speaking medics. It’s a 100% success rate at very low cost. Now I am a legal immigrant, I can have free health care.
Dentists are light years ahead of the UK. I have just had a front tooth replaced painlessly and cosmetically acceptable for 82 GBP, which didn’t hurt the bank balance too much.
2. Food is OTT spicy and contains hideous unidentifiable ingredients.
It can be. But with 20 K Americans and Canadians living on Lakeside you can eat Italian, Chinese, American and British too.
Here its home cooking. We have tons of glorious fresh fruit, greens wonderful soups salads and steaks. I love the fragrance of eggs and bacon being cooked for me in the morning.
3. The massive drug problem?
The media here are not as sophisticated as North America and Britain so the gruesome stories go global instantly, with little restraint. But I feel a thousand times safer at home here than as a widow of 70 summers, living alone in a farmhouse in the wilds of Wales.
In retirement, on my British State pension alone, instead of same old, same old, on an ever diminishing fixed income, freezing to death, I have found a whole new sunny world.
Its such fun and I can easily afford to live.
I will be happy to share more with you. Please contact me by email first then perhaps you may wish to chat on Skype?
Rosemary Grayson (Mrs) B.A. Hons. Econ., Justice of the Peace.